|By Gregor Petri||
|May 31, 2013 06:00 AM EDT||
In May 2003*, the Harvard Business Review published "IT Doesn't Matter" , an article by then still largely unknown editor "at large" Nicholas Carr.
The premise of the article was that infrastructure has a diminishing impact on competitiveness and that IT was infrastructure (although Carr in the recent Q&A seems to indicate he meant IT Infrastructure is Infrastructure, a lot less controversial idea). Given all the recent analysis around, I only want to zoom in on one aspect.
What still amazes me after all these years is how the last decade of IT was impacted/hindered/predicted/paralleled (pick one based on your personal emotional state with regard to the article) by the three short recommendations that were included - almost as an afterthought - in a small breakout box on page 8 of the article.
The article gave the following three "New rules for IT management"
- Spend Less : Which arguably coincided with a decade of corporate IT anorexia?
- Follow, don't lead : Today we know that consumer-play IT - and not corporate IT - leads most of IT innovation (think Facebook, Twitter, Google, Netflix), and Web-scale IT is arguably about corporates following consumer-plays?
- Focus on vulnerabilities (as for any utility the dependence on external providers increases) - Which ironically is today's main argument for corporate's preference for private (over public) clouds?
- DDoS Mitigation | @CloudExpo @WebairInc #IoT #Cybersecurity #DataCenter
- Should You Fear #ArtificialIntelligence | @CloudExpo #BigData #IoT #AI #ML
- When Things Attack! | @ThingsExpo #IoT #M2M #API #Security
- Cloud Is Now Seen as a Way to Better Security | @CloudExpo #Cloud #Security #DigitalTransformation
- What Is Ransomware and How Cloud Security Mitigates It | @CloudExpo #Cloud #Security #MachineLearning
- How to Turn Your Microwave into a Camera | @ThingsExpo #IoT #M2M #Security
- Cloud Expo New York Speaker Profile: Dave Linthicum – Cloud Technology Partners
- Don’t forget to register for FOSE 2013
- Streamline Health® Engages KPMG as Its New Independent Registered Public Accountants
- Red Hat U.S. Public Sector Chief Technology Strategist to Speak at NC Datapolooza
- Best CIO Practices Shared from SHI’s Customers
- Cloud Business Solutions, Social Media, and Platform Systems of Engagement Market Shares, Strategies, and Forecasts, Worldwide, 2013 to 2019
- DEvOps and SDDC Among Top 10 Strategic Technology Trends for 2014
- Application Server Market
- Commander of U.S. Cyber Command and National Security Agency Director, General Keith Alexander, To Keynote Day One of Black Hat USA 2013
- Cloud Computing: Rethinking Control of IT